6-10-14 | Agenda and Minutes
1. Review of Minutes of April 8, 2014 Meeting
2. Public Comment
3. Westport Bus and Rail Study Updates
4. Marketing Update
5. New Commuter Shuttle Schedule
7. After School Shuttle - Meeting with FTA
8. Next meeting date and 2014 Meeting Calendar
9. Other Business
MEETING | Minutes
Westport Transit District Directors: Eugene Cederbaum and Jennifer Johnson; Peter Gold and Sal Liccione; and, Norwalk Transit District: Nancy Carroll.
The meeting was called to order at 8:35 AM. The minutes of the previous meeting held on April 8, 2014 were corrected to reflect State Representative Jonathan Steinberg was in attendance.
Peter Gold, representing the Westport Citizens’ Transit Committee (CTC), shared comments from the committee:
- Not in favor of a parking garage at the Rail Station – shuttle routes going by outer lots are better – addresses security issues. Mr. Cederbaum suggested the CTC send a letter to Railroad Parking regarding outer lots security.
- SWRPA Bus Study Report – suggested the G1 and G2 crisscross at Post Road be implemented as soon as possible. Mr. Cederbaum requested more detail and it would be evaluated at next meeting.
- Visioning event should be held. Ms. Johnson thought a forum in September, with a regional focus, might be held at the Library.
- Signage is needed at the Imperial Lot.
- Press releases to local media needs to be done more frequently. Consider engaging Staples journalism student or use marketing dollars for this purpose.
- Bus shelters are in poor condition, specifically the one located on Bulkley. It was recommended that the CTC write a letter to the Westport Transit District Directors or the Town of Westport regarding the maintenance of shelters.
- Recognition of the Westport Transit District Directors for the effort they have demonstrated towards improvements of bus service.
Westport Bus and Rail Study Update
Ms. Johnson stated she was unsuccessful getting an update on the report. The Directors stated they were concerned with their role in the review of the study and agreed to contact the First Selectman regarding the status.
Mrs. Carroll had previously distributed to the Directors the total dollars spent through June 4, 2014 on marketing and the balance. Based on this information, Ms. Johnson presented how the balance of funds might be spent, including, but not limited to:
- Printing of 3000 route guides
- Media insert
- Java jackets (request of CTC)
- Social media set-up (upfront consulting costs)
- Increased visibility through a further developed website
New Commuter Shuttle Schedule
Mrs. Carroll discussed schedule changes that were made in May to accommodate Metro North changes and issues regarding meeting express trains.
Ridership statistics were discussed. The Directors requested notations on Metro North rail disruptions and weather emergencies are included on future reports. Also, prior year totals should be included on the report for comparative purposes.
After School Shuttles – Meeting with FTA
Mrs. Carroll reported on the May 28, 2014 meeting Norwalk Transit District had with the FTA. The concerns expressed by the FTA were shared, specifically: stops on school property, perception that service is not open door, consideration of a name change. The Region I staff would be consulting with Headquarters in Washington for further clarification and would notify the Norwalk Transit District of their interpretation of the regulations. It was suggested that a meeting with the Board of Ed and Superintendent would increase the visibility and understanding of the service.
2014 Meeting Schedule
The Directors agreed to meet the second Tuesday of every month at 8:30 AM. The next meeting would be July 8, 2014.
Mrs. Carroll reported on the status of the Norwalk Transit District’s Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Project.
The Directors requested that a Norwalk Transit District Report be a standing item on the agenda each month.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:30 AM.